About Our Facility
Cowles Library has served the Drake community of scholars and students admirably since 1937. Additions and renovations have extended the life of the facility, but the demands of learning in the 21st century require that the facility support the growing needs of Drake.
We envision a library that will support the full range of managing knowledge – access to and development of scholarly resources; a learning center that supports professional services and technology in the context of both a social and scholarly setting; classroom and training areas; and a setting for cultural activities and events. The features taken together will allow the library to sustain its historic – and onging future role, as the academic and intellectual heart of the university.
Facility Planning Process
Cowles Library will be the hub for learning and scholarship at Drake University…by transforming knowledge, learning, and community.
–Cowles Library Strategic Plan (2015)
- Master Plan
- Functional Inventory
- Concept Design
- Cost Analysis
- Project Phasing/Selection
- Planning process based on utilization of the current 96,000 sqft facility – with no addition.
- There is funding available for a series of projects, but not a renovation of the entire facility.
- The current funding MUST be used primarily for student focused functions and services.
Functional Elements Under Review
- Service and Staff Areas
- Study and Seating
- Learning Commons
- Conferencing and Event Space
- Partnership Functions
Facility Users Include
- Teaching Faculty / Staff
- Library Faculty and Staff
- Steering Task Force
- Cowles Library
- Rod Henshaw – Dean
- Bart Schmidt – Digital Projects Librarian
- Jordan Flynn – Administrative Manager
- Drake Finance & Administration
- Jolene Schmidt – Director, Operations and Support Services
- Drake Law School
- John Edwards – Associate Dean for Information Resources and Technology / Professor of Law
- Drake ITS
- Clayton Mitchell – Assistant Director, Learning and Technology
- Drake College of Arts & Sciences
- Maura Lyons – Professor of Art and Design
- Drake Students
- FEH Design
- Cowles Library
|December 6th||Review Work Session – handoff to FEH||
|TBD||Briefing – Library All Staff||
|TBD||Build public facing information website||Henshaw/Noble/Taylor||In Process|
|By January 13th||Feasibility/concept report||FEH|
|To be scheduled||Briefings for:
|TBD||Transition to project/schematic – project/construction timeline||
|Start Fund Raising Case Statement||
|Integrate Cowles into University Master Plan||Facility/Adm|
A new research focus for Cowles Library
In conjunction with U.S. Senator Tom Harkin’s decision to donate historical papers and materials from 40 years of service in the U.S. Congress to Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, Cowles Library was able to accelerate the Archives/Special Collections portion of the Master Plan. Construction began in June 2013 and was completed in October 2013.
This area, completed in 2012, consists of a shared space throughout the day and late night that includes the Cowles Cafe and serves as a safe, controlled access venue for after-hours study and activities. Social activities in addition to study may occur in portions of this space as special events. The space offers a range of amenities, network access, and collaborative spaces for students, faculty and staff to recharge, relax and interact.